Monday, July 1, 2013

How to Chevron-ify your lap t





After another 3-day work weekend, I'm back with last week's latest creation.
I've had my Macbaby for about 3 years and it was my best friend in nursing school. Now that we're done with all that, it's time for a makeover. What better was for a facelift than Chevron?!


I have a subscription to Real Simple magazine. I was excited when I found a coupon flyer in it for a free Valspar sample at Lowes. The most exciting color was this bright purple called "Satin Dazzle." I had no idea where I was going to be putting this, "Satin Dazzle," anywhere in my house, but it was the perfect inspiration for this makeover.

Supplies:
Paint brush(es)
Paints of your choice
Paint tape
Chevron stencil
Permanent marker

1.) I easily found a chevron print in a Google search and printed it off on paper. Trace with permanent marker, not too dark so it won't show through the paint. 
2.) Ta-da! Chevron stencil outline complete. 
3.) Apply painter's tape around the base of your lap top. Don't be stingy with the tape. Apply plenty so you can go wild with the paint! :-) 
4.) My paint colors. You can see my free Valspar choice on the right and two other paint choices I've had around the house. 
5.) I bought a lot of Washi tape earlier. This tape was perfect for edging each row. Make sure to do rows in shifts. I did 2-3 rows at one time, applying 3 coats of paint and then 1 coat of Mod Podge just to secure it. 


This process did take a couple of days. 
Hopefully you have some help like I did!


Apply paint to a pattern of your choice. I wanted to use more of my "Satin Dazzle' than the other two colors. At this point, you're ready to add other colors but make sure these first rows are dry. I put Washi tape on top of the new painted rows to keep the lines nice & straight. 

                                                                                         

Left: Red rows applied.

Right: Once red was dry, Washi tape added and green painted. 


You'll notice that once your rows are all painted, there will be some white gaps in between each row. I didn't want to colors overlapping (I did it on purpose ;-)  ). To fill in the white gaps I added a navy line/border and it gave a nice accent. 

As if this makeover isn't crazy enough, I added glitter glue that I found on sale for $1.07. The glitter outlined the middle row and makes a nice golden apple! 




There you have it! 

Big difference, huh?


Thanks everyone, comment if any questions!

Tomi

No comments:

Post a Comment