Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Starting Off With a Red, White & Blue B-A-N-G!

What better way to start off my first DIY blog post that with a patriotic BaNG! For the past week, I've been using fabric prints to create my own red, white and blue spirit for our front door. Since sewing is not my given talent, I never get to pick out fabrics at the craft store, and it's a shame bc there are so many cute prints! I created two DIY fabric rag wreaths this past week, a big & a mini, bc they're so easy and inexpensive to make. 

Here's how to make yours........
                                      
       
         
     
Shopping cart list: 



1 multi-layered wire wreath

4-5 fabric prints of your choice; 1/4 yard each

Scissors or fabric cutter

Ruler
      

*** I made one large wreath and one mini. The larger wreath will use all of the fabric. If you choose the mini wreath, you will probably have enough fabric for two minis. 

Now believe it or not, the large wreath (pictured above on left) only cost me about $13. I chose 5 different fabrics that were on sale at Hobby Lobby for 30% off, and had a coupon for the wired wreath for 40% off (which was originally only $2.99.) The burlap flower was extra but still only $2.99. 

So let's starting cutting fabric! Cut 5-6 inch strips that are 1-inch wide. This part is probably the most time consuming. 


   Aaaaaaaand....when all cut you're ready to assemble. 


Let's put it together!


Begin by taking one strip and fold it "hotdog" style, as they would say in school. 😊


Then loop around your finger like this..... 

Wrap the loop under the outer ring of the wreath....


Loop the two bunny ear inside the loop and pull tightly!!


Now some tutorials I have seen on rag wreaths just knot the fabric around the entire wire wreath; however, I cannot stand that tacky white side of fabrics and doing it this way will avoid it showing! 
Continue looping and pulling strips in your order preference. I decided to do one section at a time. 



It'll take some time but your final product will be worth it! 
 

Once you've made it to this point, either hang it up or add a little extra to it! On my large wreath, I added a simple burlap, my favorite, flower to it. One the mini wreath, I'm surprising my mom with, I really took it to the next level, and hand stitched USA on leftover fabric strips and added it to the center. 



TA-Da!! Please write me if you have aaannnyy questions. It's such an easy way to add a little Fourth to your door!!


  Tomi

No comments:

Post a Comment